Sunday, April 5, 2009

COLD DAYS IN HANGZHOU


Hangzhou has had an unusually cold winter which seems to be going on forever. We've touched on summer a few times, but it went away as rapidly as it arrived. I bought 3 electric scooters. Two for me and one for the boy who looks after my home and dog so that he can do the shopping. Love to ride to work on this thing. Makes me feel like I am one of the people. Quite a change from my car and driver in Shenzhen, but a lot faster as cars are always stuck in traffic here and scooters just keep on going. I must say, however, that the way people drive cars and scooters here is a bit insane. They pay no attention to on-coming cars (neither do the pedestrians), run redlights, make illegal turns and everyone is in a hurry no matter who gets hurt along the way. Reminds me of the plane I took yesterday. People were pushing and shoving to be first on the plane. Once on and as the plane had just touched down, they stood up, got overhead bags, and raced down the aisle to be first off...even though we were still rolling along at 300kph. When flight attendants tell them to sit down, they ignore them completely. You would get arrested in North America if you did this. Oh well, life in China is a great adventure. Photo is of Michelle Kwan because I didn't have another to put here so why not.........

No comments:

Post a Comment